This FAQ is for informational purposes only. Only the study regulations published in the official bulletin of the Humboldt Universität zu Berlin are legally binding. It is still under construction.

Gernal Questions on the Program

There is no general online option for the Master in Statistics. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic currently all teaching is done online, but this will change as soon as the pandemic is over/under control.

The master program does not offer itself preparation classes for german. But the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin offers courses as “German as a Foreign Language” in the Language centre (https://www.sprachenzentrum.hu-berlin.de/en/courses-and-registration/languages-offered/german/german-as-a-foreign-language?set_language=en).
These courses are booked out very quickly.

There are several possibilities outside the university, for example Goethe Institut here which is much more expensive than in most other countries. Volkshochschulen offer a cheaper way (https://www.berlin.de/vhs/). And of course there are a lot of private schools which offer german courses.

Yes, if you apply for admission, you have to a approve that your level of German is at least B1. Which documents are valid, can be found under “Spezielle Kenntnisse 2” here https://gremien.hu-berlin.de/de/amb/2019/26/26_2019_zsp-hu_2013_ae07-2019_2019-05-01_druck.pdf#page=44

The mandatory course Stochastik I is in German but almost all others courses are held in English.

Yes, part-time studies (“Teilzeitstudium”) are possible.


The application periods can be found on https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/studium/bewerbung/fristen/frist for all study programs of the HU Berlin. The entry referring to the MSc. Statistics is ” Master of Arts/Science mit Zulassungsbeschränkung”.

The courses cannot be used in the 30 ECTS in math-related subjects needed to apply since there are no results available yet.

 A self-assessment for fullfiling the requirements for the masters program is an obligatory part of your application documentation. All information given in the self-assessment has to be proven by adding corresponding pages from official module descriptions (e.g. “Studienordung” or “Modulhandbuch”). You have to list the courses, the grade, and the corresponding number of ECTS which are necessary for fulfilling the master programs requirements. The Admissions Committee will then decide about crediting the courses. It is not possible to give information on specific courses beforehand.

Yes, it is possible to apply for the program while you are still in your bachelor. Therefore, you have to verify that you need less than or equal to 30 ECTS to finish your bachelor. Additionally, you have to state the missing courses and the expected bachelor grade. If you are accepted to the program, you have to prove that you finished the bachelor till the end of your first master semester.

If you fulfil regular admission requirements and you have completed the necessary creditable courses at time of application you can apply for a higher study semester. For example, if you want to apply for the 2nd semester in summer, you need 30 completed ECTS from the Statistics Master program at time of application (usually in January).

However, there are seldomly places left for higher study semesters.

No. But you could register as guest student (“Nebenhörer”), for HU see https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/studium/beratung/merk/gastneben_html to already take some courses in the summer semester and then apply for the winter term.

Admission regulations

The admission committee has the final decision. Please provide a description on the content of the courses, especially if it is not clear. Micro- and macroeconomy do not count as math courses. The same holds for accounting and logistics.

There is no general information on the grades needed. It varies depending on the year you apply and the mathematics courses you took before. More information can be found here: https://www.hu-berlin.de/de/studium/beratung/angebot/zzr/statistik/view in the pdf document in III.b).

The admission rules contain no regulation concerning the date of the language certificates.

Yes, for example all degrees counting as a “degree in a study programme with a quantitative emphasis”. However, the admission commission decides whether specific degrees are accepted.


There are no tuition fees, but some administrative fee (ca 300 €) must be paid every semester which includes payment for a public transport pass for Berlin for 6 months.

No, there is no specific scholarship program for the Master program. Although you could apply for general scholarship programs.

During studies - Recognition of Classes

In the ÜWP all modules can be recognised that are identified as ÜWP and are in module catalogues of other programs of HU or institutions that participate in the Statistics Masters program. Also, other external courses, such as language courses taken abroad, can often be recognised. You then need to provide proof of how many ECTS were achieved.

There is not yet a Data Science track. There is no further information available.

For the Überfachlicher Wahlbereich (ÜWP), there exists a module that can be used to credit courses from other universities, e.g. a Chinese culture class in Hong Kong. This can be done for all ECTS in the ÜWP.

If you want to recognise courses as equivalent to courses in the Statstics Master program you need to contact the person responsible for the corresponding equivalent course. This person needs to certify the equivalence. This should be done before taking the course. The form can be found here https://www2.hu-berlin.de/mscstat/wp-content/uploads/Aequivalenz.pdf

This has to be done with Mrs. Kaboub (kaboub@wiwi.hu-berlin.de). You can do that by sending her the formular: https://www.stat.de/wp-content/uploads/Anerkennung-Pr%C3%BCfungsleistung-SO-2016-1.pdf

If the course is not taken from the study regulation list of courses or should be credited in the ÜWP, you first have to certify it as equivalent to a course from the study regulation using http://www2.hu-berlin.de/mscstat/wp-content/uploads/Aequivalenz.pdf. This has to be sent to the intructor of the equivalent course.

No, it is not possible to recognize courses in the bachelor and in the master.

During Studies - General

After you enrolled at HU Berlin for the MSc. Statistics program, you can also enroll at FU and TU Berlin. This does not lead to additional fees and should be done to take courses at FU or TU.

At FU, it is called “concurrent enrollment” (“Mehrfachimmatrikulation”). Further information can be found here: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/immatrikulation/immatrikulation/zulassungsbeschraenkte/_inhaltselemente/mehrfach.html

At TU, it is called “multiple enrollment” (“Mehrfachimmatrikulation”). Further information can be found here: https://www.tu.berlin/en/studying/applying-and-enrolling/masters-application-enrollment/enrollment/multiple-enrollment/

Yes, please register directly with the lecturers for the courses and exams and ask them to either send Mrs. Kaboub (kaboub@wiwi.hu-berlin.de) your grades or issue you a transcript (after you took the exam) that you forward to her, as all the grades are booked in  AGNES at HU. To enroll at the other universities, see the questions under Multiple Enrollment.

Master Thesis

The first supervisor of a master thesis has to be from one of the institiutions participating in the program, e.g. the School of Economics FU Berlin. Preferably, the first supervisor gives courses from the Statistics Master program. The second supervisor might be external but needs to be approved by the examination board.

Students must send 3 paper copies (with signed declaration of academic honesty) and 3 USB-Sticks or CDs with a pdf version of the master thesis  to the following address:
Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Lehrstuhl für Ökonometrie
z.Hd. Frau Kaboub
Spandauer Str. 1
10099 Berlin

You have to send an email to Mrs. Kaboub (kaboub@wiwi.hu-berlin.de) with the following document: http://www2.hu-berlin.de/mscstat/wp-content/uploads/Masterarbeit.pdf